What is JUnit?
Junit is an open-source Java testing framework that helps in executing tests. It is found to be useful in testing applications or packages that are required to run on multiple platforms.
It is a testing framework that helps in writing and executing tests in Java. Since it became part of the Apache Jakarta project in 1998, it has gained a broad user base and a big developer community. Tests written using JUnit are capable of providing detailed information on expected behavior as well as test execution. Junit enables its users to write both simple and complex unit tests for the java programming language. Click Here to download JUnit.
What is unit testing?
If the isolated unit (unit under test) fails or produces unexpected output, the tester will know exactly which part is causing the error. Unit testing is a frequently misunderstood software development practice. Depending on the audience and context, it can be perceived as an art or a science in how it is approached. The most common perception of unit testing is that it benefits developers, by giving them the opportunity to improve code quality and reducing the possibility of bugs.
Why do we require Junit?
Junit, a unit-testing framework for Java, has helped developers write reliable code because it forces them to read their code more than write it. It makes developers treat writing code as if they were going to support it forever.
Features of Junit5
- Junit5 Test Cases are extensions of Junit4 TestCases
- Group testing is much easier to create and maintain
- Code Coverage is supported by default
- A test runner can be integrated seamlessly into a custom build system.
- Run single test cases functionally as well as the groups of classifiers from your IDE
- Performance improvements
- Eclipse support
- Better IDE integration
- Introduction of new annotations: SINGLETON and Package
- Enrich the power of TEST and BATCH
- New features in TestEngine API (BEFORE/AFTER verifying, RUNNING)
- New rule engine to combine multiple rules into one Specification class
- New ant task test-junit5 to run JUnit and junit5 tests together
Advantages of Junit5
- Better performance.
- Reduced boiler performance.
- Improved support for JVM languages.
- JUnit Jupiter engine.
- Other change.
- Creating tests is now effortless.