Requirements gathering is a critical part of the software development process, as it involves collecting and documenting what requirements management software should be used. In the world of requirements management, there are numerous requirements management systems and tools that can help you with this process. In this blog, we will discuss some of the Best Requirements Management Tools available in the market. We will also look at what makes a good requirements management tool and how these tools can improve communication between stakeholders and software engineers during the development process.
You should consider the following things before choosing a Requirements Management Software:
- The team size working on the project.
- The development methodology used for the project (e.g., Agile).
- The kind of application being developed.
- Whether it is an internal or external requirement specification.
- Whether the software is industrial or open source.
- The features that you wish to have in your Requirements Management Tool.
- Whether the tool supports requirement management activities such as traceability, workflow, change management etc.
- Your budget for purchasing requirements management system.
Best Requirements Management Tools
Modern Requirements is a Visual Studio extension that helps you to manage the requirements of your application. It allows you to build requirement documents, track requirement status, and support traceability between your requirements and your code.
The tool provides two document types, the Statement of Requirement (SoR) and the Requirement Document (RD). The former is used to capture user stories or use cases, while the latter is used to capture functional requirements. These open source requirements management tools create reports on the basis of information in these files. You can also create custom reports using Excel or SQL Server Reporting Services.
The following features are available:
- Create SoRs and RDs using templates
- Generate SoR and RD documents from PPT presentations
- Show status of requirements in the Requirements Explorer window
- Trace requirements to source code using links generated by Modern Requirements
- Link SoRs and RDs with each other
- Track requirement history – Create custom reports based on RD data.
Atlassian Jira is one of the best open source requirements management tools for managing requirements and organizing work. If you are arranging to have something built, or just trying to figure out how long it will take, this tool will help you organize your work into tasks that can be assigned to individuals.
Jira requirements management feature allows you to create requirements in form of Tasks, Sub-Tasks, and User stories.After creating the requirements you can easily assign them to individuals. Jira requirements management helps teams plan and track their work, enabling them to focus on their highest priorities. This allows businesses to react faster to changing requirements and deliver more value to their customers and stakeholders.
- Traceability matrix in Jira-The traceability matrix in Jira allows you to have a clear vision of what you need and what you are getting. It helps eliminate confusion, time wastage and miscommunication between customers and developers alike.
- The Traceability matrix works by allowing you to link any feature of JIRA with any requirement in your project. This way you can easily see which features satisfy which requirements, with whom this requirement was discussed, if this requirement is still valid or if it has been changed, etc.
Jama Software is one of the best requirement gathering tools for business analysts that helps teams to manage requirements and make them visible. Jama Software makes it easy to collect, select and organize requirements. It offers a simple means of documenting the requirements in a structured way, and it provides you with a list of all open issues at any time.
The requirements are collected in the system in such a way that they can be quickly accessed, viewed, editable, and deleted. By using Jama Software you will be able to:
- Reduce costs by avoiding unnecessary changes
- Maximize return on investment (ROI) by minimizing the amount of rework
- Improve productivity by reducing the required effort for maintaining and updating information
- Manage your projects with fewer risks by possessing access to available information about the state of all requirement
- Increase customer satisfaction by improving communication between project members
SpiraTeam is a free requirements management tool. It is designed to be used in an agile framework like Extreme Programming, Adaptive Software Development, and Scrum. Although, it can also be uttilize in more popular frameworks.
SpiraTeam provides a simple, central repository for managing requirements and related documents. It also helps users analyze and organize their requirements to provide a better understanding for decision-makers.
The main features are:
- It helps to effectively plan, prioritize, and track your projects from start to end.
- Provides a simple, clear, complete and free view of all the requirements of your project
- Enable you to request changes or modifications through email or the Web-based interface, saving valuable time in gathering and compiling information.Microsoft Project, JIRA, etc.
- Provides management reports about the status of your project
- Easy to install and easy to use even by non technical users.
- Is available in Spanish, English and Portuguese.
IBM Engineering Requirements Management Doors
IBM® Engineering Requirements Management (ERM) DOORS Next is an integrated set of tools that enables you to manage the requirements and change management of your products, processes, services, and other important aspects of your business. It provides a visual environment in which to develop and manage your requirements. Click Here to start Free Trial.
It provides a central repository where all aspects of a product’s requirements can be captured and organized. Multiple stakeholders can efficiently collaborate in a single location to share and review designs, specifications, and other details about the product.
This door is a plug-in, so you can use it in conjunction with all other available doors. It allows you to perform various tasks such as:
- Automatically create new requirements when a change request is raised.
- Generate requirement specifications by simply dragging and dropping elements into place.
- Create and run test cases depending on requirements gathered using the Requirements Management Door.
- It supports a number of methods of requirements elicitation and analysis, including:
- Use Case Modeling (UML) – It integrates seamlessly with the UML toolset provided by IBM Rational RequisitePro, so that you can easily import your use case models into RequisitePro and then use them to analyse your requirements.
IRIS Business Architect
IRIS Business ArchitectTM is an easy-to-use Software Requirements Management (SRM) tool for capturing, managing, and tracking the requirements of a software project. The software requirements are stored in a central repository and each user can create his own private copy. It is considered as one of the best requirement gathering tools for business analysts IRIS Business Architect enables business analysts to:
- Capture business requirements quickly and easily
- Record details at a level of detail appropriate for each audience
- Establish traceability between requirements and goals through the product life-cycle
- Involve all related stakeholders in the process from start to end
- Review and approve changes in real time via an activity-based workflow system
- Assign tasks (such as documents or tests) to specific individuals or groups at any stage of the process
The Cradle is a free requirement management tool, is software that lets you manage your requirements so that you can get them done on time it helps in managing the requirements of the organization, there is no need for any additional effort from the employees. The Cradle requirement management tool has a dashboard where all the information related to the requirements will be displayed. This includes the status of all the requirements, their priority, and due date.
The primary benefit of CRUT is that it makes it extremely easy to create and maintain your requirements document: –
- Manage all aspects of requirements documents;
- Quickly add new requirements;
- Manage each requirement’s status; – Group related requirements together;
- Create cross references between requirements;
- Create an index of all requirements;
- Create a table of contents for the document;
- Export to HTML or RTF formats (Word);
- Create a wish list of items you’d like to have in your product.
Accompa enables software development organizations to effectively manage requirements and features across the entire lifecycle. It gives you an easy way to capture, organize, prioritize and report on your project’s requirements. You can use it for enterprise requirements planning, portfolio management, product line planning, release planning, and more.
Innoslate is one of the best open source requirements management tools. It helps the team plan, predicts and control the development of new features. It includes a requirements repository, a reporting module (in HTML or PDF), and other time-saving tools. Prominent features of the tool are:
- An intuitive graphical user interface
- Support for traceability
- Support for change management
- Support for export of requirements to XML
- Support for import of requirements from XML files
- A free evaluation version available
The Polarian Requirements tool is a software product that allows you to capture, organize and share your requirements. The main part of the software is a form that allows you to enter requirements in an easy way. The form contains fields for all the different types of requirements:
- General business requirements
- Technical requirements
- Quality requirements
Once you have entered the requirements, you can export them to other tools for additional work. For example, you can import the requirements into the Polarian Agile Tracker or the Polarian Requirements Server. Or you can generate reports based on them, or publish them as HTML pages on your website.
The Topteam analyst tool is an interactive web-based application for requirement management. It enables you to organize and manage requirements, create traceability links between requirements and source code elements and other artifacts, define test cases from requirements, and conduct test runs with the help of a Test Designer. Topteam Analyst helps you to improve your development process by providing better transparency into the status of your project, increasing quality, and reducing development costs.
Topteam Analyst includes the following features:
- Requirements Management: Define, organize, maintain and change your requirements using text or graphical notation in one central repository. The traceability links with source code elements and defects can be viewed with the Traceability Report.
- Test Cases Management: Define test cases from your requirements. Automate them based on unit tests or use them as acceptance criteria for manual testing. Execute test cases on demand with the help of a Test Designer
- Requirements Traceability: View traceability links between requirements, source code elements and defects*
- Import & Export Requirements: Import requirements from other tools via XML* and export them to various formats including XML
ReqView is a simple, affordable open source requirement management tool designed to fit the way you work. The goal of ReqView is to help you define and manage requirements throughout the software development lifecycle.
The main features of ReqVue are:
- Create and manage requirements using a simple requirements tree structure.
- Specify relationships between requirements using common UML diagrams.
- Track and manage changes to requirements using a change history.
- Use pre-defined templates or create your own templates for common software development artifacts such as user stories and use cases.
- Subscribe to external sources such as bug trackers or wikis and integrate them with your requirements data.
Helix RM is a document-based system that provides an integrated, centralized, and controlled environment for managing software and business requirements. You can easily track requirement changes, document all changes and decisions, visualize your requirements and provide a solid base for creating your application.
With Helix RM, allows you to perform:
- Manage requirements from beginning to conclusion
- Create high-quality documentation
- Share information among users and roles
- Define customizable review workflows for each project phase
- Analyze project risk across multiple dimensions
Dimensions RM is a Requirement Management tool that allows you to capture and classify your requirements, as well as be able to track them throughout their lifecycle using the agile Project Management tools. You can assign requirements to a project and then monitor their progress, or you can associate your requirements with an existing project. This allows you to generate release notes for requirements, which are automatically updated when an associated project is updated.
- Dimensions is available in two editions: Dimensions Standard and Dimensions Professional.
- The two editions are both feature-rich but differ in the number of users supported and the user interface skin.
- Dimensions Standard has a more business oriented user interface while Dimensions Professional has a more technical oriented user interface.
Enterprise Architect is a tool for developing models and diagrams to describe the structure of an enterprise. Enterprise Architect generates code from UML models and supports many different platforms including web services, database servers, and Windows applications. This tool is very helpful for creating Software Requirement Specification (SRS) documents.
It is also used for enterprise architecture modeling, Requirements Management (RM), Business Process Management (BPM), Analysis & Design (A&D), Software Architecture (SA), IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL) process design, and Performance Modelling.
CA Agile Central
CA Agile Central is the leading Agile tool that serves to collect, organize and analyze data from all your projects and teams. With Agile Central you will be able to track work progress, manage your team’s capacity, improve teamwork, and boost team performance. It helps to track Stories, tasks, requirements, defects, test cases, and other information in a single location.
CA Agile Central brings visibility to agile projects through:
- Workload distribution: Teams get a clear view of how much work they have left to do and who is working on it;
- Resource allocation: Assignments are distributed across team members based on skills and availability;
- Reporting: Status reports are automated so leaders don’t have to rely on team members for status updates;
- Tracking: Get an accurate picture of project health with reports that show how much work has been completed compared to what remains.
The iPlan is a simple and easy-to-use tool that can help you manage projects of all kinds. Whether you’re working on a project at work or organizing your personal life, iPlan can help you get things done faster and more easily. iPlan is the perfect solution for everyone who wants to simplify their daily life and be able to stay organized.
- Save Time – With iPlan, you’ll never have to waste time looking for the right documents or notes again. You can customize the software system to fit your needs so it’s always available when you need it.
- One Click Access – With just one click, you can access your files from any computer system, even when offline. iPlan will automatically sync online when reconnected.
- A Better Project Experience – Organize your projects in a clean and intuitive way. iPlan makes it easy to see how projects are going and where they stand with easy-to-read charts and graphs.
VersionOne is the most powerful software for managing Agile projects. It combines Scrum and Kanban, allowing you to create a custom workflow for your project. The interface is intuitive, and all of the features are easy to learn and use. The most beneficial part is that VersionOne gives a free trial so you can try it before you purchase it!!
- It organizes all of the data in a clear and easy to use manner on a single dashboard.
- The software is said to be extremely easy to use and can be learned in no time at all. The interface is modern and responsive.
- It is available on any device mobile apps, web applications that has internet access.
The Agile Designer tool is a method that helps you to quickly create the program or product. It will help you to create a good software product without stress and strain.
- This tool can be used by a single developer as well as a team of developers.
- The development process with this tool is fast and easy, but it’s still very reliable. You can make changes at any time, even right before launch, because the program is easily modified.
- The Agile Designer tool is an ideal choice for creating the program or product that you want to create.
- It can help you to develop something of your own, without errors and stress, and strain. The risk factor is small because the tool helps you to carefully plan everything and design everything.