Requirements gathering is a critical part of the software development process, as it involves collecting and documenting what software should be. In the world of requirements management, there are numerous tools that can help you with this process. The emergence of cloud technology has led to increasing popularity for many of these tools. This blog will talk about some of the best requirements management tools in 2021.
Best Requirements Management Tools
Modern Requirements is a Visual Studio extension that helps you to manage the requirements of your application. It allows you to build requirement documents, track requirement status, and support traceability between your requirements and your code.
The tool provides two document types, the Statement of Requirement (SoR) and the Requirement Document (RD). The former is used to capture user stories or use cases, while the latter is used to capture functional requirements. The tool generates reports based on the information in these documents. You can also create custom reports using Excel or SQL Server Reporting Services.
The following features are available:
- Create SoRs and RDs using templates
- Generate SoR and RD documents from PPT presentations
- Show status of requirements in the Requirements Explorer window
- Trace requirements to source code using links generated by Modern Requirements
- Link SoRs and RDs with each other
- Track requirement history – Create custom reports based on RD data.
Jama Software is a company of super-smart people who are extremely good at programming. A few years ago they decided to make money by building an application for people who write code, called Jive Software.
- Jive has some features that I find useful, but it is not anything I would have built if I had been starting from scratch.
- It is an odd mix of features, with some unusual compromises in between them. It is not easily explained or justified. And it is the kind of thing that, if you got it wrong, would be ridiculed on Hacker News for years to come..
Visure is a simple, fast, and free image recognition service that allows you to search for images by keywords. Visure uses a combination of features from Google Images and Flickr.com.
- Visure is fast because it only searches the text of the image file, not the web. In most cases, Visure can recognize an image in less than a second.
- Visure is free because we offer both a free ad-supported version and a premium version with no ads and additional features such as searching in multiple languages and custom image search URLs.
SpiraTeam is designed to provide a web interface to the Bugzilla bug tracking system and other tools required for managing software projects.
- It is available with most Linux distributions, including Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, etc. SpiraTeam is written in Perl and uses MySQL as its back end. It can be used on both Unix-like operating systems as well as Microsoft Windows systems.
- SpiraTeam provides a web interface to Bugzilla allowing users to manage their projects. The latest version of SpiraPlan (v3.4) allows users to import their existing Bugzilla data into the application using an XML file exported from Bugzilla. Hence, users can migrate from Bugzilla to SpiraPlan easily without losing any important data.
- Users can plan their projects, assign tasks, track issues, create charts for better analysis of the progress made on the project, etc.
- SpiraTest provides testing capabilities for functional testing, performance testing, and regression testing of software applications
Xebrio specializes in end-to-end e-commerce technology that is easy to use and simple to manage. The company’s tools give retailers a host of capabilities, from one portal to a full set of tools for a multichannel approach. Xebrio also provides mobile commerce solutions and back-office management tools, which help build efficiency.
IBM Engineering Requirements Management Doors
IBM® Engineering Requirements Management (ERM) DOORS Next is a software application that helps capture, manage, and track the complete life cycle of engineering requirements from conception through design to implementation. It provides a central repository where all aspects of a product’s requirements can be captured and organized. Multiple stakeholders can efficiently collaborate in a single location to share and review designs, specifications, and other details about the product.
Within the ERM DOORS Next environment, users can perform multiple functions, including managing documents and data; initiating processes such as change requests or production orders; viewing reports; collaborating with others using electronic forms; using structured data for automated business intelligence solutions, and exporting information into other systems.
IRIS Business Architect
IRIS Business ArchitectTM is a unique, integrated toolset that supports the entire business modeling process. By combining state-of-the-art diagramming with a sophisticated code generation engine, IRIS Business Architect enables you to model and deploy your business applications quickly and efficiently.
IRIS Business Architect is a component-based application development environment for information systems. The IRIS product suite consists of five components:
- Object Modeler – graphical language for requirements analysis and design;
- Database Modeler – graphical language for database design;
- Transformation and Generation – mapping and transformation between object models and databases;
- Inspector – visual debugger;
- Designer – user interfaces generation tool.
Accompa is a tool that lets you discover new topics to market your business or product to. It is useful for writing blog posts, articles, and books.
Accompa uses the following criteria to generate the best topics:
- The length of the topic is longer than 300 words.
- There are 10 more people interested in the same topic.
- All related keywords have been searched by at least 5 people in the last 24 hours.
- There are 20 more people who are interested in a similar topic.
Innoslate is a tool that helps you understand what you are learning. It makes it much easier to read complex material because it takes away all the work of remembering where you are in the text. It’s available for free at innoslate.com.
The way it works is that when your reading software displays a page, Innoslate automatically highlights in yellow the part you have already seen. The highlighted parts form a continuous yellow line, running down the left-hand margin of the page. If you click on any yellow part, Innoslate will scroll the page so that the clicked-on part is in view. This makes it easy to see where you are in the text without having to count lines or remember page numbers.
Gatherspace is a free tool that enables you to create a structured collection of links. It is a digital corkboard or pinwall on which you can post and organize links as you collect them, as well as images and documents.
Gatherspace is primarily intended as a way to collect information for writing, but it can be used for any purpose. For example, you could use it to build a set of resources related to your study of a particular topic, or as an outline for a talk or paper. You could also use it to help organize your research and keep track of things that interest you.
The Polarian Requirements tool is a method for organizing and prioritizing user requirements, similar to the way you prioritize features for a product. Its biggest strength is that the process is lightweight and easy to implement.
The Polarian Requirements tool originated with Ward Cunningham, who created many of the techniques now used in agile software development. The Polarian Requirements tool is described in a white paper written by him and Ron Jeffries.
Enterprise Architect is a tool for developing models and diagrams to describe the structure of an enterprise. Enterprise Architect generates code from UML models and supports many different platforms including web services, database servers, and Windows applications.
Enterprise Architect is used by software development teams in both commercial and open-source development environments for modeling software systems, software requirements, database schemas, functional requirements, test plans, .NET code generation, BPMN diagrams, and reports.
It is also used for enterprise architecture modeling, Requirements Management (RM), Business Process Management (BPM), Analysis & Design (A&D), Software Architecture (SA), IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL) process design, and Performance Modelling.
An Agile Manager is a tool that can help you make your team more productive, and I think most teams could benefit from it. When you think about improving your team, you probably think about adding new members, training existing members, and improving the tools they use. But the thing that often has the largest effect is to change how people work together: their process.
An Agile Manager is a tool for making your team’s process more productive and satisfying. When I introduce it to people, they sometimes take an immediate liking to it and sometimes feel skeptical or even hostile. The hostility almost always comes from managers who feel threatened by the idea of giving up control over their teams.
The Tosca Testsuite tool is currently under development, but it already implements many of the important features of the Open Source Testing System (OSTS).
Tosca is used to automatically generate tests for software under test (SUT). It supports both regression and unit testing. Tosca generates test suites that are executable by the tester. Each test case contains a set of actions on the SUT and assertions about how these actions change some aspects of the SUT.
Because it is an executable specification, Tosca is extremely flexible. It builds on top of the facilities provided by OSTS to provide more sophisticated constructs for specifying tests. The facilities it provides include:
- parameterized tests
- conditional execution of test cases
- randomization of test cases
- parallel execution of test cases
CA Agile Central
CA Agile Central is an IT Management Solution for Agile Development Teams. It helps users, managers, and executives monitor the progress of software development teams using agile methods. It has significant features that are beneficial for the agile team. This includes collaboration with the tracking of Stories, tasks, requirements, defects, test cases, and other information in a single location.
- The tool also provides features to track the performance of the team including burn-down charts for agile sprints that show how much work remains in each sprint or iteration based on actual vs predicted effort or time.
- The tool also includes a burndown chart for a project broken down by iteration so you can see how far along a project is within a given release cycle.
- The tool also includes a Kanban-style board which allows you to have a visual representation of your backlog or task board so you can track progress at a glance and see if there are any issues preventing work from being completed on time.
- It’s important to note that CA Agile Central is not just a stand-alone tool but rather is integrated into other CA products such as quality management, project portfolio management, and financial management tools.
The iPlan tool helps to organize your thoughts in a checklist. The iPlan tool consists of two main forms:
- A checklist of actions to take, and
- A calendar for organizing your time.
Actions to take are often confused with tasks. The difference between them is not quite the same as the difference between should and could in the sentence, “You could do it right, but you should mend it first.” That’s because sometimes an action can be done without accomplishing a task. For example, if you have a toothache, that’s an action — go to the dentist — even if no task is accomplished (such as having the tooth repaired). And sometimes a task can be accomplished without doing an action — if you buy a new drill, for example.
There are two types of actions:
- Tasks which take time
- Projects which take effort
Tasks that take time are scheduled on the calendar. Effort projects are scheduled by estimating how much effort they will take, but not when they will get done. The iPlan tool does not schedule when effort projects will get done; that is up to you.
The RaQuest tool is used to generate random quests. It is designed to be usable by individuals as well as groups. When you’re trying to achieve something, it’s important to have a clear idea of what that something is. The system then randomly selects several ways to achieve your goal. If you are looking for more than one option, you can set a minimum number of options to be generated, or let the program choose at random from all possible options.
Once you have generated your random quests, you can review them, refine them, or save them for later use. Because the system uses standard web forms for input and output, they are compatible with any web browser, mobile device, etc.
The Cradle requirement management tool, or CRMT, is a social institution that operates in a country or region that requires its citizenry to have children. It’s a way for governments to implement the practice of procreation without being explicit about it.
The CRMT enables citizens to pay for the costs of childbearing–instruction in parenting, child care, and possibly other expenses–in exchange for the government’s agreement not to interfere with their procreative activities. In particular, the government agrees not to force citizens who don’t want to have a child in a given year to have one.
The CRMT is intended primarily for wealthy countries in which most people can afford to have a child if they want one but some people would rather wait. We could imagine a similar instrument in countries that are poor or that have low birth rates. The idea would be for poor countries to somehow get at least some of their citizens to agree to be paid not to procreate.
Helix RM is an open-source tool for creating repeatable, shareable workflows. It is built on Python and PostgreSQL and makes use of hx, a Python library for creating command-line interfaces.
The Helix team has created a custom repository type that can be used to create new projects. This repository type, called the Local Repository, contains a template that goes through the steps of installing dependencies and running the workflow. The workflow stored within this repository type can then be executed by cloning the repository and running the script stored in the root of the repository.
The Agile Designer tool is a method that helps you to quickly create the program or product. It will help you to create a good software product without stress and strain.
- This tool can be used by a single developer as well as a team of developers.
- The development process with this tool is fast and easy, but it’s still very reliable. You can make changes at any time, even right before launch, because the program is easily modified.
- The Agile Designer tool is an ideal choice for creating the program or product that you want to create.
- It can help you to develop something of your own, without errors and stress, and strain. The risk factor is small because the tool helps you to carefully plan everything and design everything.
CodeBeamer is a tool to build enterprise-grade software development agility in your organization. CodeBeamer is an integrated platform, based on the open-source Eclipse platform, which allows you to build, deploy, monitor, and manage software& development processes. It has been designed to support all the software development lifecycle processes that are needed for small or large-scale projects. CodeBeamer provides many open source tools that together provide a complete solution for building enterprise-grade software.
ReqView allows you to see how many people have applied to your dream companies. It is an unofficial extension that scrapes the public information from the companies’ career pages.
- The tool works by taking the top search result of applying companies per job title and scraping their application counts per year. It then filters out the jobs that are not relevant to your search (e.g., they are looking for interns) and gives you an easy-to-read aggregate number at the top of your screen.
- The tool will be especially useful for students who are deciding between multiple offers, or who are deciding which company to apply to in the first place.
The Topteam analyst tool is a powerful research tool that allows us to identify top-performing managers in the market. It provides the following information:
- The Topteam best companies list of stocks, ranked by their analysts’ recommendations.
- The Topteam worst companies list of stocks, ranked by their analysts’ recommendations.
- An “earnings surprise” list, which ranks stocks by how much better or worse their stock price does after earnings are announced relative to how their analysts’ recommendations had predicted before earnings were announced.
- A “return on equity” (ROE) ranking for each company, efficiently measuring each company’s ROE in comparison to the rest of the market to find companies with unusually high returns on equity relative to their peer group and industry average.
- A list of stocks that have recently issued positive or negative news that has not yet been reflected in their stock price.
The Case Spec tool is the ultimate sales tool for salespeople selling Social Media Marketing (SMM) services. It’s an evergreen, never dies tool that will be used year after year; month after month; day after day; week after week; hour after hour; minute after minute; second after second by salespeople like you to communicate value and explain how you’re different than every other vendor in your prospect’s world right now.
VersionOne is one of the most well-known Agile tools to help with project management. It is used within software development, but it could be applied for other projects as well.
- The reasons why VersionOne could be used are plentiful. It is simple to use, offers the ability to collaborate via multiple devices, has a feature called analytics that allows you to measure progress and performance, and offers an opportunity to create a backlog.
- Moreover, you can use this tool for all levels of management, plus it makes it easy to stay on top of your team’s tasks. Everyone in the team can use this tool. It offers the chance to collaborate on many projects and see what others are doing at any given time.
Dimensions RM is a toolkit for building high-performance, high-scale applications on the Microsoft Windows platform. RM stands for “Runtime Methodology;” it is a new way of structuring and implementing applications. It was created as an open-source project at Microsoft Research and is used there to build products such as Bing News Feeds, Kinect Studio, and Xbox Music.
The Dimensions toolkit is a library of .NET types that implement some of the core abstractions used in the implementation of those products.
Atlassian Jira is a tool for organizing work. If you are arranging to have something built, or just trying to figure out how long it will take, this tool will help you organize your work into tasks that can be assigned to individuals.
Jira allows you to easily assign tasks to individuals. This way you can estimate how much time each project will require. Each task has its subtasks and its progress bar so you can easily see which ones are finished and which ones still need more work. You can filter view tasks by assignee, status, type, project, importance, keywords. This way you don’t have to waste time looking through all the irrelevant data.
Steps for converting ideas into actionable items:
- Write down an idea for your project or product that seems simple enough that someone else could do it if they wanted to (if it’s too complicated then break it down into smaller tasks).
- Predict how long this task might take (keep in mind the task might not be as easy as you think it might be).
- Break down the task into subtasks (this is very important because every subtask should contribute towards.
The Silk Road is a network of land and sea routes connecting China with the West, and India, Arabia, and Europe with China. The overland routes go from Europe to Iran and Turkmenistan, up through Afghanistan and Pakistan, or Central Asia via Kazakhstan. The sea route goes from the Persian Gulf to India, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Indonesia, and East Asia.
The Silk Road was an avenue for trade between merchants all over the world. It was named after silk but was not limited to this trade only. People traded all types of goods along this route; they also traded knowledge, technology, religion, and even diseases. The trade on the Silk Road contributed greatly to the spread of culture in many regions of the world.
Reqchecker is a tool for analyzing your skill requirement declaration. Reqchecker tool is an online tool that can analyze your requirement declaration and then suggest to you the correct skills to be added to your resume. The best part of this tool is, it can also check for the most tricky keywords for most popular job portals. This way it will save your time as well as give you more accuracy in analysis.
The RMTrak tool is a device that was created in the 1980s under the auspices of the Stanford Research Institute (SRI) by Bob Monroe and colleagues for his research.
- The device was invented to produce a very narrow bandwidth electromagnetic field that could then be used to stimulate specific areas of the brain and induce specific effects and altered states of consciousness.
- It consists of a small, battery-powered computer attached to a headband. The headband has wires coming out of it that lead to electrodes, which are placed on or near various regions on the head.
The TargetProcess tool is a process improvement tool that focuses on the visualization of the workflow to enhance communication and collaboration among all project stakeholders. Target Process is an online whiteboard, where users can create diagrams, charts, and models of their business processes. It makes it easier to understand an existing process than any list on paper or static diagram.
- The software is cloud-based, collaborative, workflow-centric, simple, and powerful. The tool supports an extensive library of shapes that can be easily integrated into diagrams.
- The library includes different shapes for all common business processes, including ones for real-time collaboration (chat), quality (test), and change management (versioning).
- Users can chat with each other about specific parts of the process. The platform also offers features like file sharing within TargetProcess or with another user outside of TargetProcess; versioning (check-in/check-out) for documents; task list management; notification system; search capabilities; advanced printing options; advanced security options; etc.